We here at Waterloo Music really enjoy having guitar players in the shop trying out all the lovely gear we have here, but one thing that we have noticed is that many people are very unsure when choosing their new guitar. Of course, a guitar is a very personal investment and often reflects the player and how they want their sound to be heard, so a little indecisiveness is good, as you want the perfect guitar for you! So that sparked an idea in our heads to put together some of the most important things to think about when choosing your new addition to the guitar family!
1. Don’t be afraid to play! You are there to find yourself a guitar that suits you, and the only way to do that is to crank that volume up and go for it! When choosing a guitar, you need to be able to hear how the instrument sounds and how it feels for you to play. Whether you’ve been playing for 6 months or for 6 years, the formula stays the same, turn that guitar up!
2. Don’t be afraid to query & ask questions! This is especially important to those who are considering buying their first guitar or maybe upgrading to a higher spec model guitar. We are here to help you find the perfect guitar and are always more than happy to answer any questions or queries you may have about a certain guitar, we want you to know the ins and outs about your instrument!
3. Think about your budget! We know that not everyone can afford to spend thousands of pounds on expensive guitars, so have an idea of what you would consider paying when you choose a new instrument. It also helps us to know what to recommend for you as a guitarist!
4. Looks aren’t everything, but …they are! This is a topic you will hear many different opinions on. Many players are drawn to a guitar if it fits the style or genre they want to play. Some people think it’s wrong to choose a guitar solely based on its’ looks, while others argue that it really helps to have a guitar that you enjoy looking at so that you enjoy playing it! Everyone has their opinion, but we think if a guitar makes you want to play, just down to its’ appearance, then we’re all for it!
5. Think about your style & what sort of sound you want to go for! Finding your sound is the number one key factor when buying a new instrument. You will learn throughout your musical career that even if a guitar fits your budget range and caters to your preferred guitar shape, it may not be up to the job of providing the tone that you are looking for. It’s important to keep in mind what sort of guitar tone you are looking to achieve with your instrument! Don’t forget, amplification can also play a big factor in your sound, so choosing the right amp is also important!
6. Go with what YOU feel is the best! There is only one person who truly knows which guitar feels and sounds the best, and that is you! If you think a Squier sounds much better than a Gibson, go for the Squier, it’s about your playing and your style, don’t let brands discourage you! There are a lot of factors to think about but ultimately the decision is yours!
The main things to be thinking about when you are choosing a new guitar are; what is your favoured appearance of a guitar or perhaps one of your favourite artists, how much are you willing to pay for a new instrument and what sort of tone are you looking to achieve from your guitar. These three factors will give a good idea of what range, brand & style will be available to you. Take your time and try plenty of instruments before making your decision, there is plenty to choose from and there will always be a guitar out there for everyone!